Wednesday, July 23, 2008

kissing the lipless who bleed all the sweetness away

One thing I've noticed on the East Coast is that a significantly fewer proportion of people tend to listen to indie music. In California, it's almost the norm, but at school I've met a lot of people who have never heard of Rilo Kiley or even Death Cab for Cutie. These people also have the tendency to dismiss all non-bubblegum pop music as "emo." Don't get me wrong, I love Britney (particularly "I'm a Slave 4 U" Britney, or "Toxic" Britney, or...) as much as the next teenybopper, but there is something more to be gained from songs like CocoRosie's "West Side" or Gregory and the Hawk's "I'm Your Puppet" despite their relative inaccessibility.
Some of my favorite songs that everyone should listen to:
· Tingsek - I Love You (Part 1)
· The Apples in Stereo - Green Machine
· The Beatles - For No One
· CocoRosie - By Your Side
· The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Pt. 1
· Cursive - The Radiator Hums
· Loney, Dear - Sinister in a State of Hope
· Broken Social Scene - Anthems for a Seventeen-Year-Old Girl
· Voxtrot - Soft & Warm

And my absolute favorite:
· Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin - I am Warm + Powerful (although the acoustic version is the best if you can find it- featured on my site)
On a final note: it's not like the Bay doesn't know how to get down, though. Gotta love Bay Area music; the rest of America is missing out.

Get smart... we'd rather go dumb

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home